Tuesday 30 January 2007

Poking their heads up

I lurve this time of year, the seeds that I've collected from a variety of sources are gradually being sown - and are germinating. The sight of them poking their heads up never ceases to raise my spirits, the fact that from these small dry brown wrinkly things can with the addition of a little water, some light and a bit of warmth miraculously send up little green shoots of life amazes me every year.
For me the thrill of gardening has always been propagation, not the end result - a lot of the stuff I grew on my allotments back home I never liked anyway and gave away - it is just the growing that does it for me. Today tiny petunias, bigger tagetes and some almost shy chilli's appeared overnight in the heated propagator newly installed in the spare room (much to OH's resigned disapproval!!!).
I've been to check on them about four times today - just cos it's a damn sight more fun than doing my Greek homework.(which before anybody nags - I have now finished !!)
The concrete out the back is now nearly all lifted and has been moved to around the side, until I can find somewhere to take it - there appears to be a dearth of tips here in Cyprus - lay byes seem to be the places to take your unwanted fridges, cars and no doubt lumps of concrete.
I've built a couple of raised beds and filled them with very well rotted horse manure, and tried to dig it into the soil that's already there. Unfortunately there is about 4 inches of soil in most places then a layey of chalk, so today I have invested in a pit yakka type thing (like a small pick axe) with which to attempt to break through at least some of it. What worries me though isn't the chalk - I can live with that and just keep raising the beds - it's the complete lack of worms - I've seen about 4 since I got here, there isn't even any in the manure. Where are they ???
Anyway best go - Greek numbers are calling - ena, thio, tria, tessera etc etc

No comments: